For full information about the RESEARCH pre conference seminar go here
CALL FOR PRESENTERS
ISME Commission on Research in Music Education 27th International Pre-Conference Seminar
Research: Informing the Teaching and Learning of Life’s Journey Through Music
July 8 – 13, 2018
Hosted by Canadian University Dubai
To be held in Dubai, United Arab Emirates
The aim of the 33rd ISME World Conference 2018 is to foster global understanding and cooperation among the world's music educators, by strengthening ties and sharing ideas about different aspects and issues within music education, in ways that promote music education for people of all ages throughout the world.
Music is an essential part of the human condition. For people of all ages, music plays an important and impactful role in their life experiences. Whether for leisure, livelihood, escape, or survival music helps many of us make sense of who we are and where we are going. The theme for the 2018 ISME world conference is Life’s Journey Through Music. This theme reflects the lifelong learning, lifespan development and life changing nature of music in people’s lives around the world. In Baku we will explore, interrogate, and perform ideas related to music as an integral component of the world we inhabit today and our hope for the future.
A milestone for research based understandings of life’s musical journey: The 50th anniversary of the ISME Research Commission. The ISME Research Commission has sought to a) examine through research important issues facing music education worldwide; b) develop, refine and demonstrate a range of research approaches, methods and techniques for critically examining issues in music education; c) provide a forum for the communication, critical analysis, and dissemination of research innovations in music education; and d) deepen and develop the research knowledge base for practitioners, policy makers, and researchers in music education. In Dubai we will celebrate 50 years of these endeavors at the 27th ISME Research Commission Pre-Conference Seminar with research presentations, discussions, and a look back on our history in an effort to deepen and develop the research knowledge base of music education.
The online submission system must be used for Commission Seminar and World Conference submissions. This system will be available to ISME members through the ISME conference website which will link with the members' website to check membership. (If electronic submission is impossible, please contact the ISME International Office by September 30, 2017.)
- All submissions and presentations must be in English.
- It is a requirement for the first presenter/author and all attendees at the Research Commission Seminar to be an individual ISME member at the time of submission, acceptance, booking/registering, and at the time of presentation.
- To be included in the published program, individuals must be registered on the Submission System. This includes co-presenters, panelists, and speakers on symposia. Any exceptions must be requested in advance of the submission.
- All Full Papers must be in the format of the Guidelines for Authors. Submissions that are not presented in the required formats will not be considered.
- Selected presenters (papers and posters) for the 27th Research Commission Pre-Conference Seminar will be required to confirm participation by March 15, 2018 by booking for the seminar. Failure to register by this date as confirmation of participation will result in the presentation being withdrawn.
- All 27th Research Commission Pre-Conference Seminar presenters (papers and posters) are expected to attend all sessions and participate for the full duration of this event.
- If a multiple-author paper is selected for the 27th Research Commission Pre-Conference Seminar, only one individual will be supported. Other authors may attend [as observers/participants] at their own expense and should contact the Chair if they wish to do so.
- Papers submitted for the 27th Research Commission Pre-Conference Seminar should not have been previously published or be currently submitted for publication. Papers should contain original data that have not been published, presented, or submitted for presentation at any other conferences or symposia.
- Decisions concerning the acceptance of proposals rest solely with the 27th Research Commission as communicated by the Chair of the Commission, and in addition to quality, may be based on international representation and relevance to the Commission theme.
The deadline for submissions to the 33rd ISME World Conference and pre-conference seminars is midnight (your time), December 15, 2017. Late submissions will not be accepted. Applicants will be notified of the results of the review process for presentations on or before February 1st, 2018.
Successful applicants must confirm participation as presenters, by registering as a delegate for the pre-conference seminar no later than March 1, 2018. Should successful applicants not comply with this requirement, their submission may be withdrawn from the program.
1. Spoken Papers
1. Full Papers: To be considered for presentation at the 27th Research Commission Pre-Conference Seminar and publication in the Research Seminar Proceedings, submissions must be complete papers and cannot exceed 3,000 words, including explanatory notes and appendices, but excluding abstract and references. The paper should report recently completed research that contributes to the theory or practice of music education. No more than a total of two (2) tables and/or figures may be included. These papers must include an Abstract (no more than 400 words) for publication with the paper and follow APA style. All Full Paper submissions must also conform to the Guidelines for Authors provided on the submission website. Presenters will be allocated 30 minutes consisting of no more than 15 minutes for the presentation and 15-20 minutes or less for questions and discussion. Accepted papers will be distributed to presenters for reading prior to the seminar. Therefore, presenters are strongly encouraged not to simply read their paper, but rather structure the 15-minutes in a way that speaks to it and engenders an interactive discussion afterwards. Invited authors of full papers who attend will receive accommodations, meals and an excursion paid in full. Travel expenses will not be covered. Authors of accepted papers wishing to submit a revised version of their paper for possible publication elsewhere, after the Research Commission Seminar, will need to indicate in the paper, that in part it was previously published in the 27th Research Seminar Proceedings.
Poster submissions must include an Abstract of no more than 400 words. Abstracts will be published in the 27th Research Seminar Proceedings. Authors of accepted Posters will be allocated 5 minutes and may use ONE presentation slide for a spoken presentation. In addition, authors of accepted Posters are required to bring with them a Poster to display during the Pre-conference seminar. Questions and discussion of posters will take place during designated poster display times. Poster specifications (size, format, etc.) will be provided upon acceptance. Invited authors of posters will be responsible for all expenses. Suggested discounted rate accommodations will be provided.
MULTIPLE SUBMISSIONS POLICY
The Research Commission only accepts one submission per senior author. Presenters at the Pre-conference Seminar are invited to present their paper as a Poster at the World Conference in Baku. Because 27th Research Seminar submissions will be reviewed by the Research Commission for inclusion in the Pre-Conference Seminar, presenters will not go through review again by the World Conference committee, but will be taken on recommendation of the Commission Chair for poster presentation at the World Conference.
PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT THE SAME PROPOSAL FOR A PRE-CONFERENCE COMMISSION SEMINAR AND THE WORLD CONFERENCE.
FOR ALL SUBMISSIONS TO THE RESEARCH COMMISSION SEMINAR (Full Paper and Poster):
Please type one of the following six statements at the top of the first page of your submission. Each statement is different and should clearly indicate how you want your submission reviewed:
I am submitting this full paper for consideration of a full paper presentation and publication in the 27th Research Commission Seminar Proceedings.
I am submitting this full paper for consideration of a full paper presentation and publication in the 27th Research Commission Seminar Proceedings and/or a poster presentation at the 33rd ISME World Conference in Baku.
I am submitting this full paper for consideration of a full paper presentation and publication in the 27th Research Commission Seminar Proceedings or for poster presentation at the 27th Research Commission Seminar and publication of the abstract in the 27th Research Commission Seminar Proceedings.
I am submitting this full paper for consideration of a full paper presentation and publication in the 27th Research Commission Seminar Proceedings or for poster presentation at the 27th Research Commission Seminar and publication of the abstract in the 27th Research Commission Seminar Proceedings and/or poster presentation at the 33rd ISME World Conference in Baku.
I am submitting this abstract for consideration of a poster presentation and publication in the 27th Research Commission Seminar Proceedings.
I am submitting this abstract for consideration of a poster presentation and publication in the 27th Research Commission Seminar Proceedings and/or a poster presentation at the 33rd ISME World Conference in Baku.
At the time of a submission, presenters must indicate agreement with the following copyright conditions:
I hereby assign to the International Society for Music Education (ISME), copyright of the Full Paper and/or Abstract I am now submitting for use by the Society in all formats and through any medium of communication if it is accepted for Publication in the refereed Pre-conference Seminar Proceedings.
• I understand that the Full Paper I am submitting will be refereed for possible inclusion in the Pre-conference Seminar Proceedings and that it may also appear on the ISME web site.
• I confirm that the Full Paper is original and has not been published previously nor is currently under consideration elsewhere, that I have obtained all necessary permissions for the reproduction of content not owned by me (e.g., illustrations, photographs, charts, and other visual material, etc.) not owned by me, and that the contribution contains no unlawful statements and does not infringe on any rights of others.
• I understand that I will retain copyright of the original submission for purposes of duplicating the article, placing it on my personal and institutional websites, etc., but will give ISME the first and exclusive rights to publish the ISME-formatted and edited version in print or online in ISME Conference or Commission Pre-conference Seminar Proceedings and/or journals.
• I understand that if my Full Paper is not selected for publication in the Pre-conference Seminar Proceedings, then upon such notification the copyright will revert back me (the author).
For further information, please visit the website at:
or contact the ISME International Office